Friday, August 14, 2026

Blue Skies Today, Acadia National Park

Part 2 of Day 8 begins with great relief and anticipation of seeing the Acadia National Park that I saw in the pictures while planning this trip! Yesterday was fun; but foggy no real good views. Today would be different. I pulled out very soon after getting in the park so that Shelly could see the ocean and thankfully some nice views!


I had hoped that we were early enough to get a parking spot at Sand Beach so that Shelly could enjoy the beach and I could get at least 1 of the 2 hikes I had wanted to do yesterday. NO DICE! It was mayhem again. I did part a couple miles down the road and took Shelly out on the rocks which did have some nice views.


As we stood on the rocks, I looked up at the mountain behind us and saw several people standing on what I thought was the top of the mountain. I looked at my GPS and it looked like a half mile to the summit of Gorham Mountain. So I asked Shelly if I could do a short hike to which she of course said yes. My lovely wife is very good about these things and will generally read or take a nap while I am trekking about. Lucky man I am!

So I walked about a tenth of a mile down the road and up to the trailhead. The first thing I noticed was that my half mile was actually .9 miles!

I stood there for a moment contemplating if I should just go back to the car. I didn’t know what else I could do if I did not do this as I had hiked to the Bubbles yesterday. So this was it! So I took off and busted it going up the mountain. Of course it was rocky and steep as I neared the top. As I got closer the views began. It was bittersweet after yesterdays foggy excursions!



I soon discovered that the people I saw from below were not at the top but an overlook below the actual summit.



I was in Heaven. This is what I came to see. I only wish I could have spent a couple hours up here. But I was dang grateful for the time I did have. This was the epic hike of the trip!




Interesting that most people trek all the way up here and stop at the overlook. I began my climb the rest of the way to the summit.


From the summit at 525 feet you have views off both sides. You get the added bonus of a pristine look at Cadillac Mountain.




Pictures just don’t do it justice. As I headed down I was still getting different views from another perspective. It was hard to leave. 



When I got back to the car the wife said that she expected a short hike to be an hour; however my short hike had been an hour and a half. Luckily she was not mad as she is somewhat accustomed to my “SHORT” hikes HA HA! But she did request a restroom stop. The only one available was at Jordan Pond which had been crazy yesterday and was even worse today. I told her to just get out and I would circle around. There was no where for me to pull off so I circled about 5 times before she finally appeared. She had waited in line 15 minutes to use a restroom!

We headed out of the park and began our journey to Dedham, Massachusetts which is about a half hour from the airport in Boston.

I did have one thing else on the days agenda which I figured we would skip; however the wife said she wanted to go so go we did!

In North Manchester there is a Meeting House and the Scribner Cemetery next to it.



 
The reason Shelly wanted to go to this cemetery. Well...to see a rock! Here is the story I found online:

“As Manchester grew in size, the construction of Scribner Road began. The story goes that a worker involved in the project came across a large, unmovable rock impeding the continued construction. After working with the rock for some time, he eventually proclaimed it impossible and swore that he would sell his soul to the devil if the rock could be moved.

The next day, the worker was nowhere to be found. He had, seemingly vanished into thin air. However, the rock was gone. It had been moved out of the way of construction and the road could now be completed as planned.

However, there was a strange difference in the rock. Two distinct markings had been placed on the face of the rock. One, in the clear shape of a cloven hoof and the other, in the strange formation of two feet.

The markings are said to have been placed by the devil himself, proof that the construction worker had, indeed, sold his soul in order to have the rock moved. The stone can be seen clearly embedded within the wall of the nearby cemetery in North Manchester.”

And here is that rock


This was definitely the rock we saw online but it did not seem as distinct as the online photo. I let you make your own analysis!

We made a stop in York, Massachusetts for dinner. I had one last Lobster Roll and we hit the road once again. We did not get to our AIRBNB until 9:30 pm and were met by a very nice lady who gave us a tour of her quaint abode and then we soon hit the beds! I will say that I had a heck of a time finding a place with a private bathroom in the Boston area. This was one of a few and the only one that was affordable! It was very nice and met our needs.



 

No comments:

Post a Comment