Day 8 it was time to leave Maine and head back toward Boston. Well maybe not just yet! I got up earl because just down the road on Verona Island was one trail. And that trail lead to the top of McCloud Mountain!
There was about enough room for me to get my car off the road and not block the gate which is to say that I had the trail all to myself. I wondered at first because the trail was a bit overgrown and unmaintained; but thankfully it got better!
It is only .7 miles to the top and as I got closer to it some stone walls came into view.
A trip report on Peakbagger had mentioned a home site near the summit but I did not expect to find as much as I did.
There were no chimney remains. Perhaps there was no chimney? But a lot of foundations and even some steps that lead down into what was likely a cellar. I even spotted a pile of bricks and something leaned up against a tree. This far exceeded my expectations!
No view at the top; but I had fun clowning around a little before heading down.
Sadly it was time to head back and check out of our AIRBNB. But the big news of the day was no fog and blue skies for our trek to Acadia National Park. Stay tuned for part two of Day 8.












No comments:
Post a Comment